Be honest. When you think of boogeymen, you think of Freddy Krueger, right? With his frightening head-to-toe burn scars and knives for fingers, he is the thing of nightmares. Nancy lives on Elm street and she’s living the typical life of a teenager: hanging out with her friends, going to school and falling in love. But pretty soon, people around her begin to die—seemingly in their sleep. When she dreams of a badly burned sadistic man named Freddy and ends up with an injury she received in her dream, Nancy realizes that her nightmares won’t go away when she wakes up. Turn on this flick and whatever you do…don’t fall asleep.
Fun & Freaky Facts:
• Director Wes Craven is said to have named Freddy Krueger after a bully he knew in school and the character’s scary appearance was based on a hobo that scared him as a kid.
• Johnny Depp went along with his friend, Jackie Earle Haley to the Nightmare on Elm Street auditions, where he was discovered by Wes. Coincidentally, Jackie ended up playing Freddy Krueger in the last remake of the film.
• The original glove was also used in the sequel, but then mysteriously went missing.
• Over 500 gallons of fake blood were used in the making of this film.
• This was Johnny Depp’s first film.